POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I don't do design : Re: Why I don't do design Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I don't do design
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 12 Oct 2009 11:58:42
Message: <4ad35232$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/12/09 06:56, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>> I should perhaps also point out that, technically, when TeX sees
>> <math>cat</math>, it interprets it as "c * a * t", which probably isn't
>> what you want. Use<math>\text{\it cat}</math>  instead. (There's a subtle
>> difference in the letter spacing - and also the typeface is slightly
>> different.)
>
> The \it tag (italics?) was causing me grief. It gave a lexing error ...
> failed to parse. With the \text tag alone I get normal typeface, without it
> I get the italics typeface. it doesn't seem to be behaving as you suggest.

	In math mode, if you want text to appear in italics, and not be treated
like a formula, use \textit{...}.

	There's also \textrm if you want it to be nonitalicized. Bunch of
others - see the links below.

	Check out the page now - the 2nd formula is using \textit

	Ever been to the LaTeX Wikibook:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

	I don't know how good it is for learning LaTeX, but it's fairly good
for either quick lookups or for "recipes" to achieve certain effects:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Mathematics#Adding_text_to_equations

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Formatting#Font_Styles_and_size

--
A tautology is a thing which is tautological.